BP's Tucson Sector chief steps down
Brady McCombs Arizona Daily Star |
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:00 am | Comments
The chief of the Border Patrol's Tucson Sector has retired 10 months
after taking the post.
Randy Hill retired last week, said agency spokesman Mario Escalante.
Richard Barlow is the acting Tucson Sector chief, he said.
No other information was available about the timeline for naming a
Hill is the second consecutive sector chief to serve less than one
year. Hill replaced Victor Manjarrez Jr., who left the post in
December 2010 after nine months because of personal reasons,
according to the Border Patrol.
Agents knew that Hill would serve a short stint because he had
reached the Border Patrol's mandatory retirement age of 57, said
Brandon Judd, president of Local 2544 of the National Border Patrol
Council, the union representing agents in Arizona. Hill had been
granted an exception, Judd said.
"With Manjarrez leaving in the manner in which he left, they brought
in a very experienced chief patrol agent," Judd said.
Judd said agents were pleased with Hill's leadership.
Before coming to the Tucson Sector, Hill had been the El Paso Sector
chief. Before that, he was the Del Rio Sector chief dating to
November 2005. He began his Border Patrol career in Las Cruces, N.M.,
Contact reporter Brady McCombs at 573-4213 or email@example.com
CBP officers seize weapons, ammo at Arizona border
Associated Press | Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2011 11:45 am |
A Mexican man has been arrested for allegedly trying to smuggle three
assault rifles, two handguns and more than a 1,000 rounds of
ammunition into Mexico through southern Arizona.
Authorities say the 24-year-old suspect was arrested Thursday at the
port of entry in Douglas. His name wasn't immediately released.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials say the cache of weapons
and ammo was found during a secondary inspection of the man's tractor-
trailer. They say the items were located in the storage compartment
underneath the sleeping cabin.
The man was turned over to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's
Homeland Security Investigations. The weapons, ammunition and semi
were processed for seizure.
Note: not just Tx
DPS issues warning related to cartels recruiting Texas teens
October 14, 2011 9:02 PM
The Brownsville Herald
For the second time in at least two years, the Texas Department of
Public Safety has issued a warning to parents that drug cartels are
soliciting high school students to support their illegal operations.
In the warning, DPS Director Steve C. McCraw states, "Mexican cartels
have corrupted an entire generation of youth living in Northern
Mexico and they seek to corrupt our youth as well to further their
smuggling operation. The Mexican cartels value Texas teenagers for
their ability to serve as expendable labor in many different roles
and they have unlimited resources to recruit our children."
McCraw referenced two incidents. In one case, two Texas teenagers
were lured to Mexico. He said the teenagers were kidnapped, beaten,
ransomed and released in a remote area near the Rio Grande.
In the second incident, he states the DPS apprehended a 12-year-old
boy driving a stolen pickup containing more than 800 pounds of
DPS authorities said parents should talk to their children and
explain how the cartels seek to exploit Texas teenagers and the risks
in dealing with these "ruthless organizations." This applies
especially those teens living along the Texas-Mexico border, he said.
The DPS issued a similar warning in November 2009, in which the DPS
identified two Laredo teenagers who became assassins for the Zetas
Reports at that time stated the two went on to careers with the
Zetas, killing dozens before they were arrested by Laredo police in
In November 2009, a 17-year-old died after a rollover during a police
chase near Alto Bonito. Authorities said that fatality could serve as
an example of a teen recruited to smuggle drugs. La Grulla police
found 568 pounds of marijuana inside the truck, which overturned in a
Impone la SSP nuevo record en la campaña de despistolizacion 2011
Un nuevo récord impuso la Secretaría de Seguridad Pública (SSP) de
Sonora al recaudar un total de 1,243 armas durante la Campaña de
Despistolización 2011 que concluyó el pasado fin de semana.
El titular de la SSP, Ernesto Munro Palacio, destacó la gran
participación de los sonorenses, principalmente las amas de casa,
quienes mostraron su compromiso con la paz y la confianza en las
Durante el evento de clausura, el funcionario estatal recordó que la
Campaña se realizó del 20 de septiembre al 7 de octubre en 25
municipios del Estado, gracias al apoyo de la Secretaría de la
Defensa Nacional (Sedena), los ayuntamientos y la iniciativa privada.
"En este 2011 logramos la meta histórica de sacar de circulación la
cantidad de 1,243 armas, lo que representa un incremento del 12% en
relación a las 1,106 armas que logramos captar en la campaña de