Saturday, May 14, 2011



Note: comes as real surprise to those who live here, not. Also any
"virtual" fence or virtual whatever, will be a failure. Don't agree
with Maril's gateway conclusion.

Book: `Virtual fence' on US-Mexico border a failure
by Jim Cross/KTAR (May 13th, 2011 @ 8:20am)

PHOENIX -- An East Carolina University professor who spent two years
on the U.S.-Mexico border says the border is far from secure.

Lee Maril is the author of a new book, "The Fence: National Security,
Public Safety and Illegal Immigration Along the U.S.-Mexico Border."
Maril says Boeing's "virtual fence" of sensors, cameras and radar
cost taxpayers billions of dollars and accomplished nothing.

It did give Americans a false sense of security, Maril said, "because
Boeing always claimed in all of their written documents that
everything was going fine, that they had no major problems and they
were doing what they were supposed to."

One of Arizona's most outspoken people on border security, Pinal
County Sheriff Paul Babeu, agrees with Maril on that point. "This
(the virtual fence) was largely a complete failure," Babeu said.

Maril and Babeu disagree, however, on whether the porous U.S.-Mexico
border is a gateway for terrorists. "They certainly could have a
higher percentage of success coming into the United States undetected
and that's why we've got to secure this border," Babeu said.

Maril said, "If you were a terrorist, the last place you would come
across would be the Mexican border. It's too easy for the bad guys --
the international terrorists -- to get a very, very, almost perfect
documentation so they can just come in through our ports of entry."

Maril said it's difficult to find agreement when it comes to securing
the border.
"There's so many different interests involved. There are corporate
interests, defense contractors, military, so many different
perspectives. That's why I think we need some sort of comprehensive
immigration plan that would finally define what the situation is.
Right now, it's fairly chaotic."

The Office of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, who
claims the border is becoming more secure, and the U.S. Border Patrol
did not respond to interview requests.

Note: Looking worse all the time. Following story claims 60 bullet
wounds. Cover-up?

Pima SWAT likely had highly trained medics at fatal shooting
Posted: May 12, 2011 7:24 PM
Updated: May 13, 2011 12:44 PM
Video Gallery
Pima SWAT likely had highly trained medics at fatal shooting
Reporter: Craig Smith

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - An ambulance crew- forced to stand by for more
than an hour-- and not allowed to examine a man shot by a SWAT team.

That's what happened in the case of Jose Guereña.
The Marine veteran died a week ago after the SWAT team broke into his
house to serve a search warrant.

9 On Your Side wants to know how something like this can happen when
a man's life hangs in the balance- criminal or not.

It's a disturbing idea---an ambulance crew not even getting a chance
to help a man with multiple gunshot wounds. But we are learning SWAT
team members well trained in deadly force bring the potential to save
lives too.

SWAT team members say Jose Guereña was waiting with an assault rifle
when they broke into his house to serve a drug warrant. He didn't
fire, but they did and hit him multiple times.

His wife remembers seeing him in a pool of blood, making noises that
made her think he still had a chance.

She called 911.
Call records from Drexel Heights Fire rescue say an ambulance was on
the way at 9:43am. It arrived just two minutes later. But the
ambulance crew was told to wait outside.

Law enforcement usually holds back medical crews to be sure they're
not walking into danger.
The Drexel Heights crew waited until 10:59, then heard Code 900. The
radio call that means they were no longer needed. The man was dead.

They had waited an hour and fourteen minutes.
Compare that to the chaos of the January 8th mass shooting. Even
with a large open area to secure, medical crews only waited 12
minutes to be allowed in.

Former U.S. Surgeon General Dr. Richard Carmona is a Pima Sheriffs
deputy. He helped develop medical training for Pima SWAT deputies
that's become a national model.

Dr. Carmona can't comment on this specific case but says all Pima
SWAT officers have military style first aid training and SWAT teams
have unarmed, trained paramedics or EMTs who would be available to
help anyone at the scene.

Doctor Carmona says they would normally be there with the team but
the team members with the most advanced medical training are not law
enforcement officers so they would likely wait outside unless team
members cleared them to come in and it's still not clear exactly what
actions they took.

KGUN9 reporter Craig Smith asked: "And this is for the benefit of the
officers or perhaps even a suspect who's wounded in the course of
Dr. Carmona: "Absolutely Craig, the care is not relegated according
to good guy or bad guy or suspect. Whoever needs the care, gets the
care as quickly and safely as possible."

Again, Doctor Carmona is talking generally, not about the specifics
of this case. The Sheriff's Department is not commenting for now
other than to say the case is under investigation.

Ex-Marine shot by SWAT has local roots
Published Friday, May 13, 2011 10:49 AM CDT

Jose Manuel Guerena Ortiz, 26, the ex-Marine shot and killed by the
Pima Regional SWAT Team on May 5, was a native of Nogales, Sonora and
lived in the city until he was 13 years old, his father said.

The family has retained criminal defense attorney Christopher
Scileppi, who also represents former Nogales Mayor Octavio Garcia-Von
Borstel in his bribery, corruption and money-laundering case.

At a news conference on Wednesday, Scileppi said he would be
investigating all aspects of the case, including why a medical
response team was not allowed to enter the home for an hour and 14
minutes after the shooting took place.

The body of ex-Marine Jose Manuel Guerena Ortiz arrives by hearse to
Nogales, Sonora on Wednesday.Photo/Cesar Barron

According to the Pima Sheriff's Department, officers fired 71 rounds
in seven seconds as Guerena crouched, pointing an assault rifle at
them after they busted into his home through the front door.

According to sheriff's reports, Guerena did not fire his weapon at
officers, as was originally reported shortly after the incident and
that the gun safety was on. His wife Vanessa Guerena also contends
the officers did not identify themselves and that initially she
believed it was a home invasion.

She said her husband was asleep at the time, having arrived just two
hours before from his job at a mine.

Last words
Mrs. Guerena told reporter Cesar Barron of Nogales, Sonora's Radio
XENY AM 760 that she first spotted a man pointing a gun at her
through the window of the home that morning at about 9:30 a.m. She
could not determine if it was police.

She said she woke her husband up with her scream, adding, "His last
words were, 'Vane, take the boy and get in the closet, get in the

She denied hearing her husband yell out to the SWAT team, "I've got
something special for you," as was stated to the media by Pima
Sheriff's Lt. Michael O'Connor.
"Before I even closed the closet door the shots rang out," she said.
"His body was struck by 60 bullets according to the medical examiner."

Asked on Wednesday after her husband's body was brought by hearse to
the border if she planned to file a lawsuit against Pima County, Mrs.
Guerena said, "I don't know. First I want to give him his proper
Christian burial."

Radio XENY also interviewed the dead man's father, Alejandro Guerena,
who still lives in Nogales, Sonora. "We are protesting my son's
massacre," he said.

The younger Guerena was a veteran who served two tours in Iraq. He is
survived by two sons, ages 4 and 5, his father said. His body will be
buried in Oquitoa, southwest of Nogales, near Altar.

No comments:

Post a Comment