Note: things been unsettled in area for month or two now.
Published: 04/15/2011 12:48 By: Editorial ElImparcial
Serious but stable, commander of PEI: PGJE
HERMOSILLO, Sonora (PH)
In serious but stable is the commander of the PEI, Leonarda Flores
Estrada, who suffered an attack yesterday against the City of
Obregon, said Jose Larrinaga Talamantes, spokesman for the PGJE.
In an interview with a national television news, Larrinaga
Talamantes, spokesman for the Attorney General in the State, said the
commander charge of the PEI Operating Base in the city, was in
critical but stable in hospital Ciudad Obregon.
He also disclosed that the violent day that arose yesterday arrested
two persons allegedly linked to the attack.
More information soon
1 slain, 1 wounded as bandits ambush smugglers
Brady McCombs Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011
A suspected drug smuggler was killed and another wounded west of Casa
Grande in Pinal County early Thursday in a shooting by what was
believed to be a rip-off crew.
Six people were taken into custody in Stanfield to be questioned in
connection with the shooting.
At 1 p.m., officers surrounded a home in Stanfield where they
believed marijuana stolen by the rip-off crew was taken, said Pinal
County Sheriff's Office spokesman Tim Gaffney.
Investigators believe the crew opened fire on a group of 15 drug
smugglers early Thursday west of Casa Grande in a popular smuggling
corridor. Following that shooting, members of the rip-off crew
carried the marijuana to a car stopped on Interstate 8 and took it to
Stanfield, Gaffney said.
Officials learned of the shooting at 2:15 a.m. when the Arizona
Department of Public Safety received a 911 call from a woman in
Phoenix who said her father had been shot in the desert south of
Interstate 8 and had walked to a rest stop on the highway about 25
miles west of Casa Grande, Gaffney said.
DPS officers went to the rest stop, and after finding the man with a
gunshot wound, called the Pinal County Sheriff's Office, he said.
Sheriff's deputies went to the rest stop near milepost 150 on I-8 and
found a 35-year-old Mexican man who had been shot once in the
stomach. After being treated at the scene, he was flown by air
ambulance to Maricopa Medical Center where surgery was performed.
About 8:30 a.m., officers found a second victim who had been shot
fatally. He was found in an area near Antelope Peak, which is about
two miles south of I-8, Gaffney said. He was a man in his mid-30s
The wounded man told deputies he was traveling with a group of 14
others who had crossed the Mexican border, Gaffney said. They were
approached by another group that opened fire on them, the man told
Deputies have found evidence that led them to believe that he and the
group were smuggling marijuana toward I-8, Gaffney said. The shooters
were likely from a rip crew, a term used to describe criminal groups
that rob and assault smugglers and illegal immigrants.
This shooting occurred in the same area where two suspected drug
smugglers were shot and killed in June 2010 and where ex-Pinal County
Sheriff's deputy Louis Puroll reported being shot by smugglers he had
been tracking on April 30, 2010.
Contact reporter Brady McCombs at 573-4213 or email@example.com.
Note: public knowledge the next day, and then, a couple bodies every
Sr. Reporter: Mexico identifies losers of big 2010 shootout in Sonora
Tim Steller, Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 7:00
am | Comments
A blanket of silence lay over the big gun battles of July 2010, near
El Sáric and Tubutama, Sonora, maybe 12 miles south of the Arizona
line near Sasabe.
The Sonoran government barely acknowledged them. American officials
were uncertain what happened. Only one reporter got into the towns,
months later, and even then it was with an armed government convoy.
But what was clear was that twice that month, large groups of armed
men fought each other, leaving many, many people dead and injured.
On Wednesday, the Mexican government put one piece in the puzzle.
While announcing the arrest of Raúl Sabori Cisneros, aka El Negro,
they called him the second highest official in El Chapo Guzman's
Sinaloa drug-trafficking organization. And they said this:
"He was also directly related with the events of July 1, 2010 in El
Saric, Sonora, in which 21 members of his organization died."
See the original press release in Spanish in the attachment, or read
this translation at the Borderland Beat website.
This was the first of the two gun battles, reportedly involving 100
or more men. The story has long been, told well by Arizona Public
Media reporter Michel Marizco, that the first battle occurred when an
armed group associated with El Chapo Guzman's organization tried to
force their way into territory controlled by local traffickers
affililated with the Beltran Leyva organization.
The story goes — and the military's press release seems to confirm
this — that the locals surprised the outsiders and routed them,
killing more than 20. In the follow-up battle, the story goes, El
Chapo's men returned, and won this time. Maybe we'll get that piece
of the puzzle next.
Note: double dipping jack, along with a few others in law
enforcement, has been part of the problem. Ironic that the
kidnapping stats did him in, when the real numbers are probably more
than they reported.
PHX Public Safety Director Jack Harris resigns by KTAR.com (April
15th, 2011 @ 10:00am)
PHOENIX -- Phoenix Public Safety Director Jack Harris has resigned,
some six weeks after he was removed as police chief during an
investigation into kidnapping numbers of the Police Department.
The city of Phoenix released a statement Friday morning, saying
Harris had submitted a letter announcing his retirement, effective
Harris was removed as police chief March 3 and put in charge of city
emergency management and the emergency operations center. His removal
came amid questions about whether police had inflated kidnapping
numbers to get federal grant money.
Assistant City Manager Ed Zuercher said after receiving Harris'
letter, "Jack Harris served the residents of Phoenix for more than 39
years, starting as a patrol officer and working in many different
areas of the Police Department before becoming chief in 2004."
Zuercher added, "While he served as chief and public safety manager,
the Police Department became recognized nationally as a leader in
"Crime rates are at an all-time low to a treat extent because of
Jack's focus on getting the worst criminals off the street. Phoenix
residents should be proud of their excellent Police Department. We
wish Jack well in his retirement."
A city commission has been investigating the kidnapping numbers and
is to issue a report next month.
Harris could not be reached for comment Friday.