Monday, January 23, 2012

AZMEX I3 23-1-12

AZMEX I3 23 JAN 2012

Note: Fidel was running the human smuggling op for the cartel on AZ
line, 11 people died in the process. Arrested in Cananea and
relocated to Cd. Mexico. Will probably be extradited to US.

Detienen a líder del cártel de El Chapo en Sonora
Fidel es buscado en Estados Unidos a raíz de la muerte de 11
inmigrantes indocumentados en 2009; lo acusan de tráfico de personas

CIUDAD DE MÉXICO, 23 de enero.- La Policía Federal capturó a Fidel
Mancinas Franco, alias Fidel, presunto responsable del cártel del
Pacífico en Sonora y quien es buscado en Estados Unidos a raíz de la
muerte de 11 inmigrantes indocumentados en 2009, informó una fuente

La Secretaría de Seguridad Pública precisó en un comunicado que el
sospechoso fue arrestado el pasado sábado en una carretera del
municipio de Cananea, en el estado de Sonora, fronterizo con Estados
Unidos, y posteriormente fue trasladado a la capital mexicana.

Mancinas Franco cuenta con una orden de detención provisional con
fines de extradición a Estados Unidos acusado por tráfico de
personas, entre ellas 11 inmigrantes indocumentados que fallecieron
en dos accidentes automovilísticos en 2009.

Las autoridades mexicanas acusan a Fidel de ser dirigente del cártel
del Pacífico en los municipios de Nogales, Agua Prieta, Naco y
Cananea, todos ellos ubicados en el estado de Sonora.

El cártel del Pacífico está liderado por el narcotraficante mexicano
Joaquín El Chapo Guzmán, el delincuente más buscado de México.

2012-01-23 14:47:00

Note: sometimes they tell you more than they intended

Deportee struggles to readjust to life outside Phoenix
New immigration policy didn't help Phoenix man
by Daniel González - Jan. 22, 2012 10:30 PM
The Republic |

This is how Miguel Aparicio spends his days now after the former
Phoenix high-school cross-country coach was deported to Mexico in June.

Up at 7 or 7:30, he has breakfast. A cup of coffee and a tortilla. A
little bit of chile, some beans.

Then it's time to take the 26 sheep on his parents' small farm in
Guanajuato out to pasture. He grabs his wooden stick. On the way out
the door, his mom might hand him a little bolillo sandwich to eat up
in the mountains, where he watches over the herd until dinnertime.
"I feel so depressed," Aparicio said in fluent English one recent
day. "Sometimes when I'm dreaming, I wake up in the middle of the
night and I think I'm in Phoenix. But then I look around and I
realize, no, I'm not."

Last year, President Barack Obama's administration launched a new
deportation policy that could let thousands of illegal immigrants
remain in the country indefinitely.

But the policy came too late for Aparicio, 38.

The policy instructs immigration-enforcement officials to use
prosecutorial discretion to close the cases of illegal immigrants who
have ties to the community and have not committed any offenses other
than being in the country illegally in order to focus resources on
deporting serious criminals.

It was announced by Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director John
Morton onJune 17, the same day Aparicio was scheduled to be deported.

Aparicio's lawyer, Jose Luis Peñalosa, quickly filed a motion asking
immigration officials to grant Aparicio a reprieve under the new policy.
"We think this was the first test case," Peñalosa said.
Favorable factors

Peñalosa argued that the new policy applied to Aparicio for several

For one, he was a longtime resident of the U.S., one of the positive
factors listed by Morton in his memo for exercising discretion.
Aparicio's grandmother had brought Aparicio to Arizona when he was 15
and he had lived in this country for more than half his life.

He was a good student, another factor in his favor. Not only had
Aparicio graduated from Carl T. Hayden High School, he had attended
Phoenix and Yavapai community colleges on running scholarships. And
although he didn't graduate, he also had studied at Grand Canyon
University on a cross-country scholarship.

He was a good worker, another factor. Aparicio had learned how to
install electrical outlets and switches while working for several
electrical companies and eventually completed a program for
electricians at Gateway Community College.

He also had strong ties to this country and had contributed to the
community. Aparicio had volunteered to help coach cross country for
12 years at several Phoenix high schools, and in 2007, 2009 and 2010
helped Alhambra High School win state titles. He was known for
helping high-school students get into college and for using his own
money to buy running gear for athletes.

But Aparicio also had a stain on his past.

In June 2003, he was arrested for drunken driving.

The night it happened, Aparicio said, he was supposed to attend a
church service with a friend. But when the friend didn't show,
Aparicio accepted an invitation to go out with another friend.

Aparicio said he usually does not drink. But that night, the pair
stopped at several bars and stayed out until 3 in the morning.

On the way home, Aparicio said, he turned in front of an oncoming car
at the intersection of 16th Street and McDowell Road in Phoenix. No
one was hurt in the crash, he said. Police booked him into jail.
Court records show that he was charged with extreme DUI and leaving
the scene of an accident.

In jail, Aparicio said, he gave officers the fake Social Security
number he used for work and they let him go. Aparicio later pleaded
guilty. At the time, Aparicio had a valid driver's license, which he
got before Arizona passed a law barring illegal immigrants from
getting a license. As part of his sentence, however, he said, his
driver's license was suspended. He also said he spent a night in jail
and paid $4,500 in fines and for driving classes.
Back to Mexico

After his arrest, Aparicio continued to live illegally in the country
for years.

Then on April 23, 2008, Aparicio said, he was stopped by a Pinal
County sheriff's deputy in Casa Grande. Aparicio said he was on his
way to install ceiling fans for a friend's mother. Aparicio said the
deputy told him he had illegally driven past a stopped school bus,
but he doesn't recall seeing the bus.

The deputy discovered that Aparicio's driver's license had been

Aparicio said the deputy suspected that he was in the country
illegally when Aparicio admitted he didn't have a valid Social
Security number.

The deputy called the Bor-der Patrol. Agents came and drove him and a
passenger, who was also undocumented, to Tucson.

Aparicio said his passenger agreed to be deported immediately. But
Aparicio said he decided to try to fight his deportation in
immigration court because he had lived in this country for so long.

Aparicio said he was held at a federal detention center in Eloy for
two months. Friends then paid the $5,000 bond for his release while
his case was pending in court.

Aparicio hired a lawyer who he says advised him he had little chance
of winning. Aparicio says the lawyer suggested he accept voluntary
removal, a form of deportation that allows people with pending
deportations to remain in the country for several months while they
prepare to leave.

Meanwhile, his story was featured in a long profile in the September
2010 edition of Runner's World magazine.

After several court extensions, the date for Aparicio to leave the
country was finally set: Friday, June 17, 2011.

Morton, the ICE director, announced the new deportation policy the
same day. Aparicio decided to wait until the following Monday to turn
himself in to ICE in hopes of buying some time. In the meantime, his
new lawyer, Peñalosa, filed legal papers asking ICE to let him stay.

Several dozen of his runners from Alhambra High and supporters
gathered outside the ICE detention center on Central Avenue in
Phoenix as Aparicio walked inside. The story was covered by several
local television news stations.

The small crowd waited for word for several hours. About 2 p.m.,
Aparicio said, ICE officials loaded him into a van with two other
illegal immigrants. He said none of his supporters was still out on
the sidewalk when they drove away and took him to the border in
Nogales three hours away.

An ICE officer handed him a bottle of water before Aparicio walked
through the gate in Nogales back into Mexico.

"That was it," Aparicio said.
No reason given

Aparicio is one of the 396,906 people the United States deported in
fiscal year 2011, the highest number ever.

Because he did not leave theday he was supposed to, Aparicio was also
banned from coming back to the U.S. for 10 years.

Peñalosa said ICE officials decided not to exercise discretion in
Aparicio's case but didn't give a reason.

He believes, however, that "the fundamental reason" ICE officials
turned him down was because Aparicio didn't have any close relatives
who are U.S. citizens, a requirement to qualify for legal status.
That, and the DUI, Peñalosa said.

After he was deported, Aparicio said, three of his former runners
drove down to meet him in Nogales, Sonora, across the border from

They brought him some of his clothes and gave him $600 to pay for his
transportation to Guanajuato, in central Mexico. Aparicio said he
took a bus to Leon, the state's largest city, and then hired a taxi
to drive him the rest of the way to La Angostura.

For the past six months, Aparicio has been living with his parents in
their farming town of 150 people.

With hours to kill, Aparicio has plenty of time to text some of his
ex-runners back in Phoenix on his cellphone.
"Hey, what's up?" he wrote to one recently. "How is the team doing?
Do you miss me?"
"Hey, what's up coach?" the runner replied. "Yes, we do miss you."

Aparicio hadn't been back to Mexico in more than 20 years. He said
adjusting to life on his parents' little ranch was difficult. For
weeks, Aparicio said, he mostly sat around the three-room house and
did nothing.

Jobs were available picking corn and beans on local farms, Aparicio
said. But they paid only about 110 pesos a day, or about $11. In
Phoenix, Aparicio said, he was earning $20 an hour as an electrician.
He couldn't bring himself to work for such little money.
"No. No. No. That is not what I am going to do," Aparicio said during
one of several telephone interviews.
Search for decent pay

Aparicio said some of his friends in Phoenix have urged him to try to
sneak back into the United States illegally. He knows some people who
have done so.

But Aparicio said that is not something he would consider doing.
Immigration officials warned him he would go to jail if caught re-
entering illegally.

Plus, he said, "I won't feel right if I go back illegally. Everybody
knows me."

More recently, Aparicio said, he was starting to get back on his
feet. He started running again, logging up to 7 or 8 miles a day
through the mountains. In the evenings, he has also been coaching
some local children in soccer, his other passion.

Next month, Aparicio plans to move to either Mexico City or Leon. He
hopes he will have a better chance of finding a decent-paying job in
a big city. He has years of experience working as an electrician, and
in college he studied to be a teacher.

But his ultimate goal is to return to the United States someday.
"I am just waiting to see if they change something about
immigration," he said. "I am just hoping because I do not feel like
the ICE officers were really fair with me. They just looked at the
negative stuff. They did not look at the positive stuff. And I have a
lot. I know for sure that one day I will be back."

Read more:

No comments:

Post a Comment