Note: "some type"
Outdated fence in Douglas replaced
Published/Last Modified on Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:19 PM MST
U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials announced last week the
completion of construction replacing an estimated 6.1 miles of
outdated primary pedestrian fencing along the U.S-Mexico border
adjacent to the city of Douglas.
The new fence stands 18 feet tall and goes down 6-8 feet into the
ground. The project began in early October as part of CBP's ongoing
effort to strengthen the security of Arizona's border with Mexico by
replacing "landing mat" style fencing, originally constructed in the
early 1990s, establishes better levels of persistent impedance by
raising the overall height and providing a deeper, more robust below-
grade foundation in areas susceptible to erosion — making it
significantly more difficult to breach.
"This new fencing will greatly hinder transnational criminal
organizations from attempting to commit their criminal acts and allow
our agents to see threats more easily, thus keeping our communities
safer for our friends and families," said Tucson Sector Border Patrol
Chief Richard A. Barlow.
Of the 262 linear miles of border Tucson Sector is responsible for
securing, approximately 210 miles have some type of pedestrian and
Border agents seize $206K in undeclared cash in Ariz.
Feb. 23, 2012 04:14 PM
NOGALES, Ariz. -- Federal authorities say they've seized more than
$206,000 of unreported currency in southern Arizona from a woman
headed for Mexico.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers conducting outbound
inspections Wednesday at the Dennis DeConcini Port selected a 46-year-
old Mexican woman for additional questioning and a closer examination
of her SUV.
When officers searched the vehicle, they found 12 packages inside a
factory compartment containing $206,330.
The unreported funds and vehicle were processed for seizure. The
woman was arrested and turned over to U.S. Immigration and Customs
Enforcement's Homeland Security Investigations. Her name hasn't been
It's the third significant seizure of undeclared currency by CBP
officers in two weeks in southern Arizona. Officers seized almost
$168,000 Tuesday and nearly $169,000 on Feb. 13.
Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/
Man at 'wrong place at the wrong time' has extensive record
Posted: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 8:18 am
Nogales International |
A man who said he was "with the wrong man at the wrong place at the
wrong time" when he was busted in downtown Nogales with a juvenile
who had two packages of methamphetamine strapped to his crotch has
been sentenced to two years in prison.
Daniel Guillen, 32, a Nogales native recently residing in Tucson, was
sentenced Feb. 6 by Superior Court Judge James A. Soto after pleading
guilty to facilitation - unlawful transportation of a dangerous drug
for sale, a Class 6 felony.
According to court documents, a Nogales Police Officer received a
report of two suspicious men at the downtown McDonald's the morning
of June 20, 2011. The men had reportedly been signaling each other
with a series of head nods while leaving the restaurant.
The officer responded to the area and saw a man get into a black
Dodge Neon parked on North Terrace Avenue near the intersection of
West Elm Street. The man then got out of the car and approached the
officer, showing a driver's license that identified him as Guillen.
He said he was the owner of the Neon.
The officer asked him about the young man sitting in the fully
reclined passenger seat of the Neon, but Guillen couldn't identify
him by name. He said his passenger was someone he had just met.
When the officer ran a records check on Guillen, he learned that he
had an outstanding arrest warrant for assault, so he arrested him.
The officer then identified the passenger by his border-crossing card
as a Mexican youth, who reportedly started crying, saying that he
would be beaten up or killed for being involved in a "drug
situation." The boy allegedly said he came into the U.S. carrying a
package, and that he was supposed to meet an unknown person at
A subsequent search allegedly revealed that the boy had two packages
taped to his crotch area, and that they contained a total of 1.1
pounds of methamphetamine.
During a pre-sentenceing interview with a Santa Cruz County probation
officer, Guillen denied knowing about the drugs.
"I didn't have that methamphetamine on me and I didn't know that kid
had it on him," he said.
"I was with the wrong man at the wrong place at the wrong time," he
said, adding that he pleaded guilty because he thought he wouldn't
have much chance in front of a jury because of his criminal history.
The pre-sentence report shows that Guillen has three prior felony
convictions, including aggravated assault, armed robbery with a
deadly weapon and aggravated assault on a corrections employee. He
also has three misdemeanor convictions and had an outstanding warrant
from Tucson City Court at the time of his arrest.
The report also shows that Guillen attended A.J. Mitchell, Pierson
and Nogales High School before moving to Tucson in 1995.
Guillen's co-defendant, the Mexican youth, was charged as an adult in
Santa Cruz County Superior Court and convicted on July 21, 2011of
attempted unlawful possession of a dangerous drug for sale, a Class 3
He served 120 days in juvenile detention and was released on Oct. 9,
2011 to serve one year of unsupervised probation, according to court
Note: A rare bust in Pima county
$8 million dollar drug bust involving 15 people
CREATED FEB. 22, 2012
15 people busted in Tucson drug probe
Web Producer: Marlena Hamilton
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV)- The Counter Narcotics Alliance group arrested 15
people for various narcotics-related charges and recovered nine and a
half pounds of heroin worth about $8 million dollars.
The Counter Narcotics Alliance is an investigative group made up of
officers from the Tucson Police Department, the Pima County Sheriff's
Department, the Arizona Department of Public
Safety, the Marana Police Department, the Oro Valley Police
Department, the University of Arizona Police Department, the
Sahuarita Police Department and Border Patrol.
This investigation started on June 1, 2011and ended February 16, 2012.
During the course of the seven and a half months, Counter Narcotics
personnel and undercover operatives identified not only high-volume
suppliers of heroin in the Tucson area, but also a primary source of
the heroin entering the United States from Mexico, said Maria Hawke
Public Information Officer for TPD.
The nine and a half pounds of heroin were distributed mostly
throughout the Tucson area.
On February 15th and 16th, the investigation team were able to get
seven search warrants throughout different locations in Tucson and
were able to arrest the 15 people involved.
The names and photographs of each suspect are included, except a
juvenile who was released to his parent upon arrest, 16-year-old
Josue Rodriguez, whose photo is not available.
Each person was charged with drug-related charges specifically
relating to the sale of narcotics, the transportation of narcotics,
and the distribution of narcotics as well as for their participation
in a criminal syndicate, all felony offenses, according to Hawke.