Note: "Workers without borders"
Campesinos Sin Fronteras employee elected to advisory panel to
September 23, 2011 4:52 PM
BY CESAR NEYOY - BAJO EL SOL
In a close race Friday, an employee from the Campesinos Sin Fronteras
was elected as the new representative for Mexican citizens in the
Yuma and La Paz counties.
Maria Retiz will assume the post of counselor for the Institute for
Mexicans Abroad (IME), helping to advise the Mexican government
regarding the programs and services it provides through its
consulates to Mexicans living in U.S. cities.
Voting in the election open to all area residents of Mexican
nationality, Retiz received 19 votes for the two-year term, followed
by Antonio Carrillo with 18 votes and Dario Hernandez with two votes.
"I'm very happy to be elected. This is a challenge to keep working
for the Mexican community, as I've done for many years," Retiz said.
She was referring to her job over the past decade as a health
promoter with Campesinos Sin Fronteras, a nonprofit agency that
provides programs and services for field workers and low-income
residents in south Yuma County.
A native of Mexico City and former agricultural worker herself,
Retiz, 49, said expanding programs to benefit farm laborers will be
one of her priorities in her role as a liaison between the Mexican
government and the Mexicans in Yuma County.
Carrillo, an Arizona Western College professor and counselor, said
that regardless of the election, he will keep working for the
community, particularly the area of education.
"There's a lot to do to keep young people in school and motivate them
to get to a higher level of academic preparation," he said.
The method of election was by direct vote, using a ballot with name
and picture of the candidates. Retiz will succeed Mily Gómez, elected
in 2010. Her accomplishments in her two-year term included her role
in helping to open in San Luis, Ariz., a Community Public Square,
where Mexican citizens could attend class to learn English or gain
high school equivalency certificates.
$8M bond set for 4 accused of kidnapping undocumented immigrants
September 24, 2011 1:35 AM
MISSION — Three men and a woman were formally charged Friday in
connection with the kidnapping and holding for ransom of several
undocumented immigrants at a stash-house earlier this week.
Jose Angel Lopez, Juan De Dios Zedillo, Luis Fernando Zedillo and
Marta Guadalupe Quiroga were presented before Mission Municipal Judge
Horacio Peña, who formally charged each with four counts of
aggravated kidnapping and set a total bond of $8 million each.
The Zedillo brothers and Quiroga also were placed on an immigration
detainer because they were in the country illegally.
Aggravated kidnapping is a first-degree felony with a possible
sentence ranging from five to 99 years in prison or a life term.
After the arraignment, the four suspects were taken to the Hidalgo
The four suspects are accused of kidnapping 18 undocumented
immigrants from a stash house in 9 Mile Road and Moorefield and
holding them for ransom, said Mission Assistant Police Chief Martin
"The case began when Mission Police was called from Guatemala by the
family of one of the immigrants who were afraid for his safety
because they would not be able to meet the ransom demands," Garza said.
The immigrants were being housed at a shack near the intersection of
4 1/2 Mile Road and Moorefield when they were rescued.
At the scene authorities seized an air pistol, wire transfer
documents and an undisclosed amount of cash. There, they arrested the
Zedillo brothers and Quiroga and then arrested Lopez a short time later.
During the hearing, all four of the suspects revealed had previous
arrests ranging from DWI and cocaine possessions to a human smuggling
conviction for which Lopez was serving supervised release after
completing a jail term.
According to Garza, the case is considered organized crime because
the four people worked together. There is pending arrest of a fifth
member; however the group is not tied to any cartel or other criminal
Ildefonso Ortiz covers law enforcement and general assignments for
The Monitor. He can be reached at 956—683-4437.
Nicaraguan Journalist Flees to U.S. After Threat
Published September 24, 2011
| Associated Press
MANAGUA, Nicaragua -- A Nicaraguan newspaper says one of its
reporters has fled to the United States following what she described
as threats from supporters of the ruling Sandinista party.
The director of the El Nuevo Diario newspaper says he has filed a
complaint about the threats against reporter Silvia Gonzalez with
international press freedom groups.
Nuevo Diario Director Francisco Chamorro says someone also threw a
severed chicken head into Gonzalez's patio, with her name on it.
National Police spokesman Fernando Borge told Channel 12 television
Saturday that the case "had been investigated and she was given
But Gonzalez said in a call from Miami, Florida, that she is afraid
to return to Nicaragua.